Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 1

The first day here and I feel like I stepped back into the early 1800's. The local people are so poor! Bicycles are the main mode of transportation, they drive on the left hand side of the roads, and the guy driving us has little regard of them. If he honks the horn, they better get over.

I saw my first Cobra snake alone side of the road, some of the local kids had just killed it. It's around 8:30 at night here and you can hear the lions and other creatures howling outside of the camp. They have armed guards walking inside the camp to keep the peace and the wild beast away from the compound. One of the Aussies I am with, said the guards killed a Cobra last night around the showers.

The rest rooms are just a little step above the out house we had in Ohio (it has running water from a 55 gal. barrel on the roof good pressure when full, less pressure as the water is used). My tent mate is from India. The food, Diet Coke, and cooking all smells and tastes the same. I am going to keep to bottled water for the duration.

Classes may or may not start tomorrow. There are some problems with the trucks so I will most likely work on them instead of teach.



Check out the way they haul items that are too big to get on their bikes. The house in the background belongs to a family of four.

1 comment:

orangemily said...

Wow! I can't wait to hear more about this Nicole!