Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 6

Another muggy day. The temperature is less today than in past, sky is overcast but the sun still is brutal. I did have some different food for breakfast and lunch. Instead of ham and beans, we had beans and ham. Started my second class today. I feel that I am giving them better service than the first. I have scraped the Komatsu program and I’m doing what I feel will be of help. As far is the trip being successful, by American standards it's a total failure. But the miners are very glad and believe that it’s very successful. For the majority of them, this is the first time they have had formal training. Masa, a young mechanic told me I was the first person that would answer his questions without yelling at him.

Steve from Australia finished his job and went home today. With his stop-overs, it will take him 2.5 days to get back, at the cost of $6,000 Australian. My 30 hour flight and cost is not so bad.

The dogs are going nuts again tonight. They are trained to bark and not bite. The barking keeps the animals away more so that attacking.

I had an interesting, but sad encounter today. Masa, a 24 old mechanic in my first class took me aside for a private conversation. He said "If God is willing, will you come back to my country and teach me more? And if god is willing, will you bring back to me a computer”?
I asked “Do you know how to use a computer”?
“Yes sir. I go to the library to use and I teach myself how, but it cost 1000 schilling for 1 hour. I can only use for 1 hour because people in line to use. How much will it cost” he asked?
I said “Around $400 US maybe less”. The look on his face was very sad. That's almost 3 months salary for him. After he got over the shock.
He said "If God is willing, I will start put money in the bank”.
We don't know how well off we are.

The power went out again around noon again. After work we met in the bar for drinks and conversation. Steve, from New Zealand, asked “Have seen any of the country”? Steve was a tour guide for 4 years and traveled all over Africa. He said he came thru Buzwagi once before the mine started and said it was really bad. Back then the road was dirt and impassable when it rained. The village was very poor.
“How can it be poorer"? I said.
“You should see some of the villages in the bush Mate" was his reply. It's hard for me to believe.
“Why are they calling you Ba-Boo”? He asked.
“I really don't know”.
"How many old people have you seen in the village and at the mine”? Steve asked
“Come to think of I have not seen any”. That's because the life span is around 42. People in their 50's and above are rare and respected.

Love you all!

1 comment:

orangemily said...

Wow, it's interesting what we take for granted, technology and a long life.